#ECGrad – A university degree in the back pocket but Holly wanted more
Holly Black came to Edinburgh College to study and HND in Costume for Stage and Screen, despite already having another honours degree. During her time at the college she received Distinction from the Scottish Opera shortly after starting her course for her flair and excellence in costume making. Read more about her Edinburgh College experience.
- How do you feel about Graduating?
Proud of my achievements but sad that the experience has come to an end.
- What made you choose Edinburgh College for your studies?
The course drew me in – it included everything I was looking for.
- What were you doing before starting at the college?
I had just graduated from a BA (Hons) degree at university.
- What has been the best thing so far about studying at Edinburgh College? Any highlights?
Learning skills I had never expected to and trying lots of new things.
- Have you faced any challenges, either before starting or during your studies? How did you overcome them?
Moving straight from High School into Further Education created a number of challenges, from having to adapt to a new environment to self-motivating to keep up with the new workload.
- If you could give one piece of advice to a student starting at the college now, what would it be?
Throw yourself into every new opportunity you can and try to enjoy it.
- Do you have any messages for the lecturers?
I had no idea what I was capable of but you challenged me to do things I never thought I could and find out what I can accomplish when I set my mind to it.
- Looking back, is there anything you would do differently?
I would stay organised by not procrastinating as much at the beginning and throw myself into every new challenge
- What are you most proud of that you have achieved while studying at Edinburgh College?
Gaining the Scottish Opera Distinction after starting the course with, what felt like, very little experience of costume making and no experience of tailoring
- Describe your Edinburgh College experience in three words.
Challenging, Enriching, Fantastic