How to pay for your studies after a break from education

If you are an adult returning to education then you need to know how to pay for college. This includes fees and other costs such as childcare, travel and textbooks. Here is some information below with links to other resources.

Full-time students

If you’re aged 25 and over, and depending on the income of yourself and your partner/spouse, you may be eligible for a Further Education Bursary. The bursary also covers allowances towards travel expenses (depending on distance) and essential study expenses.

Download the Further Education Bursary PDF.

Part-time students

If you are coming to College to study part-time then there are a few options.

Individual Training Account (ITA) – for those seeking employment or for those who are currently in low paid work. Eligible learners can gain up to £200 towards a training course. It’s not a loan and doesn’t need to be paid back. Find out more on the Skills Development Scotland website.

There are other options available for part-time students depending on eligibility, such as the discretionary fund and fee waiver. Download the Part-Time Student Funding PDF.


If you are a parent with care responsibilities then there is funding available for assisting with childcare costs. Funding depends on your household income and other criteria, and is paid directly to your childcare provider. Download the Childcare Funding PDF.

If you are studying at HNC level or above, then you can apply for childcare support from SAAS. Find out more on the SAAS website.

Other information

Applications for funding should be made as soon as possible, and are dealt with on a first-come-first-served basis. All applications are made via the online application system, and you will be asked to provide evidence of income.